Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Master Builder


When my parents retired I wanted them to come to Colorado to be by me and my daughters.

My parents had just suffered a financial setback. They had invested all there retirement money in a house in a small town. Just before they retired five factories closed in the town. Real estate values plummeted and my parents ended up with very little money for their retirement.

I owned a small house on a large lot. The lot was zoned for a duplex so I set about seeing if I could add on to my house. I wanted to build an addition that had an office for me and bedrooms for me and my two girls. My parents could live in the original half of the duplex.

I didn’t have much money, but figured I could come up with enough to put up the outside and insulate it by winter. I had a plan created and with my father, began to interview builders. The builder recommended by a family member came over, inspected the plan, and told us it would cost much more money than I had. My father gave up hope, and suggested we downsize the plans by half. We were talking in the kitchen with the plans spread on the table. I prayed for the Lord’s help. Then there was a knock at the door. I answered it and there was a builder there who was a relative of a friend. He told me that he remembered that I knew accounting and he had an accounting question. I answered his question and told him I had a question for him too. I brought him into the kitchen and showed him the plans. He said he thought I could certainly build the addition with the budget I had. My father was convinced and we moved on with the plans.

I know the Lord answered my prayers that day with His generous and gracious Spirit. He prepared a place for me in this life and is preparing a place in the next life.

For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. Hbr 11:10