Saturday, January 22, 2011

Harry the Angel


Building an addition to transform my house into a duplex was more of a trial than I had predicted. My parents and I and my daughters were living in the original, small house. There were too many bosses under one roof, living on top of each other. Winter was coming and I knew things would get worse. I prayed for the Lord to solve the problem.

The shell and framing of the addition were complete. I wanted to move my family in over there, but I knew I would have to insulate it first. I only had $600 cash left in my budget. This was 1990 and I knew the money wouldn't go far. I also had a charge account with the building supply store. I figured I could charge the insulation. I could put up the insulation in the walls, but not the ceiling. The ceiling needed to be drywalled before I could insulate the roof. I realized I could not put up the ceiling drywall myself. I could charge the drywall at the building supply store and then see if I could hire a drywall man to put up the ceiling for $600.

I called the building supply store and asked the lady who answered the phone how heavy drywall was. I figured I could bring the drywall home on top of my station wagon. I would have to get it upstairs though and I knew that would be a problem if it was too heavy for me to lift. The lady at the drywall store asked what I was doing and I told her. (I guess most folks don't ask how heavy drywall is.) She told me her husband did drywall work, so I asked her to send him over to bid on doing the ceiling.

Harry, the husband of the lady at the building supply store, came over, and looked at the house. He said he would drywall the whole house for $200. I told him that was ridiculously low, but he said he needed something to do.

Harry told me a strange story as he worked. He said that he had been listed as killed in action in Vietnam.

Harry put up all the drywall in the house, then asked if I wanted the flooring put down. The flooring included laying a hardwood floor in the living room and tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. Harry offered to put it all down for $250. He did a terrific job. He even added tiling the bathtub area and building a vanity top out of tile for no extra money.

Then Harry said he would build my deck for $50. Next Harry offered to put in the baseboard in the house for $50. Instead of buying trim, he routed the wood himself and stained it. Finally he offered to paint and texture the entire interior of the house for $50. That used up the last of the $600. He painted the house and I never saw him again.

I never told Harry that I had just $600. I marveled that he came and bit by bit finished the addition and charged exactly $600. Wherever he is, I know God is blessing him. I call him my angel Harry.

I thanked the Lord and moved my family into the addition before winter. This was quite a testimony to my unsaved parents. By this time living with my family, my father said my life was "uncanny." Fortunately he came to know why. That will be in a later post.

Once again the reminder:
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phl 4:19